If you’ve been in a motor vehicle accident, you might be feeling overwhelmed as you deal with everything that needs to be taken care of. Depending on your level of injury and pain, even your regular commitments may feel like a lot to handle.
Although you’ll likely have to consider your vehicle’s state and insurance, potential legal action, and documents like police reports, one of the most important items to check off the list is your wellbeing. If you’re injured or in pain, it’s important that you seek out the treatment you need as soon as possible. This can prevent major health concerns down the road.
Since motor vehicle accidents (MVAs, for short) are stressful events, we’ve compiled an easy checklist you can follow to ensure you can receive the full benefits of MVA massage therapy and other treatments covered by insurance.
1) At the scene of the accident, assess your injuries first. Call for emergency medical services if anyone at the scene is in significant pain. If you suspect there is damage to your spinal cord, do not move or allow anyone else to move you until an ambulance arrives.
2) After the incident, visit your doctor or family physician as soon as possible. They will refer you to health care services you may require, including chiropractors, physiotherapists, and massage therapists. Ultimately, which services you access are up to you (it’s never the decision of the insurance company).
3) If your doctor assesses you for “minor” injuries, you will likely be covered by insurance plans for up to 21 treatments (of any type listed above). This includes therapeutic massage treatments delivered by a registered massage therapist, which are especially beneficial if you’ve suffered soft tissue injuries like whiplash or neck pain.
4) Book your first appointment with a massage therapy clinic in Edmonton. Your therapist will begin by taking detailed information about the accident and your symptoms, completing an assessment, and coming up with a short and long-term care plan.
5) Submit your massage therapy invoices to your insurance, or choose a massage clinic that direct bills for MVA massages.
6) Continue your treatments. Once you’ve used your 21 treatments, you may have access to additional massage therapy reimbursements through your insurance coverage, or through your health plan. Return to your family physician to receive a prescription for massage therapy and be sure to have your doctor fill out the paperwork required by the health insurance provider.
The Benefits of Massage Therapy for Car Accident Injuries
Massage therapy can help relieve pain, tension, and stress caused by motor vehicle accidents. Some of the general symptoms that can be treated with massage include:
- Headaches and migraines
- Neck pain
- Head injuries
- Muscle tension
- Joint pain
If you’ve been in a motor vehicle accident and you’d like to know more about the benefits of massage, please get in touch with our registered massage therapists today to learn more about the positive outcomes we’ve seen in our clinic.